It’s always good to have a backup of your Windows 10. As whenever something goes wrong you can always use the backup to help restore the files, folder, and system with almost no data loss (if the backup is done on a timely basis). But you should also think to Delete Backup Files in Windows 10 or at least set up to auto delete.
But there is also and always a downside of creating a backup of your operating system windows 10 — the major downside is the space it takes on your hard drive. And if you are having space constraints then you might not like the size the backup takes up on the hard drive.
Its always recommended having automatic system backups enabled. But Windows will fill up your drive with unnecessary backup files that you can delete from time to time, including older Windows update files.
Delete Backup using File History
Regular Backups are quite elegantly taken care of in Windows 10 than the older version of Windows 10 since it has a better built-in file backup system than the previous versions. Windows saves files in a certain folder on regular basis, with intervals as small as 10 minutes and as higher as indefinitely for some files.
But because of this file system on Windows 10, it can take the vast majority of space. Hence to delete the Windows backup files you need to go to Windows history backups.
- Open Windows Setting Menu – Right-Click the Windows Start Menu and press Settings. After this, you need to press Update & Security > Backup. If you are currently on Windows File History then press the More Options button as shown in the below image.
2. In the More Options menu, you can change the time interval after which you need your files to be backed up. You can also change how long to keep them before getting them deleted. Change these under the Back up my files and Keep my backups drop-down menu.
If you are checking for the first time then by default the Keep my backups options are set to Forever. We recommend changing it to delete backup every month which will not put you under space constraints in the future.
3. If you want you can disable the Windows File History completely by pressing Stop using this drive option in the Backup options menu. By selecting it, all your backups will be erased immediately from the drive.
Deleting or Clearing Backup using Disk Space on Windows 10
Using the Disk Space application you will be able to delete most of the non useful backup files in Windows itself. Since your Windows keeps on updating at regular intervals and this causes downloads of loads of installation files and backup of important Windows data. Disk Space helps to look for those unnecessary files on the system and lets you select what you can delete or not from the system.
As you can see in the above image, Disk Cleanup is providing a huge amount of options for gaining space on your hard drive. And it showing that the maximum amount of space you can gain in cleaning up the hard drive using a disk drive is 7.5GB. That’s quite a lot of space you can gain in one go.
Deleting the Windows.old Folder After Windows 10 Updates
If you have performed any major Windows updates recently. Such as if you jumped from Windows 7 to Windows 10, or you updated your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 10 then your system will create a Window.old folder which will keep important files and folders of the previous Windows.
And this takes a lot of space on the Disk Drive as well. But now you can clean up this folder without a worry. Usually, Windows deletes this folder after a month of an upgrade. But sometimes it may not happen because of some reason. In that case, you can follow the below steps to delete the Windows.old folder whenever you want to.
- To delete the Windows.old folder, you’ll need to run the Disk Cleanup tool. Press the Windows + R key and type cleanmgr, then click OK to launch it.
- In the Disk Cleanup window, press the Clean up system files option to view options to clear system files.
- In the Files to delete the list, make sure that the Previous Windows installation(s) checkbox is enabled. To save additional space, you can also enable other settings or folders to be wiped at this point. Once you’re ready, press OK to begin the deletion process.
Now you will be able to gain a significant amount of space on your hard drive. And it will remove Windows.old folder completely. Also, once deleted this folder you will not be able to revert back to an older version of Windows. So be cautious while you are deleting this folder and be 100% sure that you do not want to revert back ever.
That’s all for the guide on how to Delete Backup Files in Windows 10.
If you like this post and please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest. You may also like to read few stuff related to windows like taking screenshots on Windows. Let us know in the comment sections if you have any queries and suggestions we are happy to help.