Are you finding it difficult to manage affiliate links in your WordPress Blog or any Blog? When I initially started blogging on this website I found it hard too. To resolve it I used this plugin name, Pretty Links
Are you new to blogging or want to start blogging? As being new even I wasn’t able to understand how can I redirect my affiliate links without revealing that I am using the affiliate links. Since if your affiliate links are exposed on your website or blog then they can be misused.
Hence it is always better to have affiliate links mentioned sometimes like “yoururl.com/go/affiliatewebsite“, this will make the URL look a lot smoother, and also it will be displayed as you are referring your user to an affiliate website.
So, today I will tell you the free methods you can use to track and make your affiliate URL beautiful. Let’s dig deep into it with some details.
Why you should not Expose your Affiliate URL?
Well if you are running a blog in a too competitive niche then there may be many competitors who might be looking into your website to see what affiliates you are working with and promoting.
They may go ahead and signup for the same affiliate and make it harder for you to make sales for your affiliate. But it is still not a hundred percent secure but makes your affiliate URL a little better to look into.
Also, sometimes a normal user would not like to click on affiliate URLs or URLs which they are not aware of, and hence having better links made to redirect your user is always a better way to do it.
Plugin available to Manage Affiliate Links
There are many tools and various plugins available over the internet which you can install on your WordPress blog and start using it. Currently, we will be discussing the best plugin or tool which you should or you may use to manage affiliate links.
Also, there a few plugins which let you create a beautiful URL as well in order to redirect your users. So, let discuss what are those plugins and check how can you get them installed.
Pretty Links Plugin:
Pretty Links is a WordPress plugin that is used to create a redirect URL for your affiliate links. It also tracks the number of clicks made on your affiliate links. For most of the cases, these plugin is completely free.
But for few features, you may have to pay some amount of money to get the premium features. We will be discussing all the things you can do to create redirect affiliate URLs.
Lets discuss what are the benefits of using Pretty Links.
- Creates Shareable and Brandable affiliate links for email, podcast, or YouTube.
- You can monetize your content using these links and can track each one of them.
- Provides three types of redirect beneficial for use for affiliate links.
- Automation of complete process and also being free completely for basic works.
- You can short the URL as per your liking.
Lets discuss what are the disadvantages of using Pretty Links
- In the Free version of the Plugin, Tracking of Pretty Links is not accurate and not provided with real-time data.
- UI is a little outdated and it becomes difficult if you want to see data related to any individual URL.
- No Support for Free Users.
- Little Costlier if compared with competitors.
Installation and Creating Affiliate URL using Pretty Link
On the WordPress blog, you can directly install the Pretty Link plugin using add new plugin area. There in the search box, you can search for pretty links, and then you can select the install button to install the plugin.
Once you have installed the plugin, then you need to go to the Pretty Link dashboard by selecting Pretty Link on the left side of the WordPress menus.
On the dashboard which is pretty simple, you can see the “Add New” button, then the number of URLs created using the plugin, search bar in which you can search for any already created URL using the plugin.
Types of redirection available to Pretty Links for redirection
When you will be going to create the URL using step mentioned in below section then you will be given three choices of redirection to select. I want you to understand each type of redirection so that it should be clear to you which one to use in future.
- 307 (Temporary): It is usually used for internal URL redirect to make it in simple words. So suppose you want to redirect one of your website post URLs to a different post URL then you should use 307 in a pretty link. Here user data will also be transferred within the website to the new redirected URL.
- 302 (Temporary): It is usually used for external URL redirects and used most in affiliate link URL redirects. So, for all affiliate link redirects in pretty links you need to select this redirect code. Here user data will also be transferred to a new URL whenever it will redirect.
- 301 (Permanent): It is used when you want to redirect a link permanently. It tells the server that the resource is permanently moved to a new location given by headers. The method in this will change to GET and no user data will be transferred along with the link.
How to add the affiliate Link using Pretty Link
To add the affiliate link using the plugin is very easy. So just follow the below steps in order to add the affiliate links on your website and start using them.
- Step 1: Go to the dashboard and select Add new button.
- Step 2: Select the redirection type as 302 (Temporary) for affiliate links, enter the target ULR i.e. your affiliate URL.
- Step 3: Add the pretty link you want to make, for example: “guideearn.com/go/prettylinks” so for this, you need to type “go/prettylinks” in the text box and then select the copy button.
- Step 4: Add Notes in the notes section to know what type of link you have added and why if you wish to do so.
- Step 5: Add the title above as the affiliate name or whatever you like which will remind you of the affiliate.
- Step 6: Go to the Advanced tab, and select sponsored its always good to select the affiliate links as sponsored so that Google will understand that you are promoting those links and it will not affect your SEO.
- Step 8: If you have bought the premium or pro version of the plugin, then in the pro tab of the tool you can see the options such as expire, keywords, URL replacements, head scripts, dynamic redirection.
- Step 7: In the final step select the update button under the publish tab on the right side of the screen.
Features of Pretty Links
Once you have added the new URL in your plugin then there are many more features in the plugin which you can explore. Let’s discuss each and every feature one by one to understand it better.
1. Clicks Tracking
The first and foremost feature of this plugin is that it provides the tracking related to the clicks being performed on your affiliate links.
It shows you the IP address, TimeStamp, URI, Referrer, and which link was being clicked in the dashboard. This helps you understand which links from your website are getting more clicks.
2. Tools to Bookmark and Delete Links
The second feature provided by this plugin is it provides you a feature that allows you to bookmark certain links. Just drag the button “Get PrettyLink” link to your toolbar to install the bookmarklet. As you browse the web, you can just click this bookmarklet to create a pretty link from the current URL you’re looking at.
After this, you have one more option which is termed trim. In the trim tab, you can delete the clicks data older than 30 days or you can delete clicks data older than 90 days. And if you want to delete all the clicks you have created then you can simply select delete all clicks.
3. Option Selection
The third feature it provides is Option selection. In this tab, you can find default link options where you can select what default redirect method should be selected whenever you are creating a new link.
Also, provides an option to select and enable tracking, enable no follow, enable sponsored, and enable permalink fix. After this, there are other tabs as well such as reporting of links, replacement, auto-create links, pretty bar, etc.
Pretty Link Pro Subscription Pricing and Support
Pretty Link is a free premium plugin for WordPress and it get the work done for the free version. But if you are someone who wants to juice out all the feature of this plugin then you need to have a pro version of the app.
As there are various advanced tabs and services which are blocked unless you get the pro version of the plugin. You will need to buy the premium version on yearly basis to use it. There are three pricing scheme available for pretty link Beginner, Marketer, and Super Affiliate.
With the Beginner plan you get to use the pro feature of the plugin only on one website, few advance add-ons may still not work for beginner plans. It cost you around $49 for one year in which case you are already saving $50 on this subscription. But we have a special discount coupon to use read at the end.
With the Marketer plan, you get to use most of the pro features of the plugin on two websites for 1 year. In this, you will get all the feature with 1 year of update and it cost around $99 to use in which case you are saving $50.
With the Super Affiliate plan, you get to use all the pro features of the plugin on 5 websites for 1 year. You also get priority support if you run into any problems. It cost you $149 for 1 year in which case you are saving $50 on this subscription.
Pretty Links Alternatives
So, if in case you didn’t like Pretty Link till now and you think you might go with the alternatives of Pretty Links then we are listing here some of its alternatives which you can go ahead install and check.
- Easy Affiliate Links
From both of them, Lasso is the paid plugin and it provides more features than pretty links. But it does not have any free parts to utilize and test before you go ahead and pay. Whereas Easy Affiliate Links are completely free plugins available on WordPress.
Lasso is cheaper than this plugin but they are not free at all. All you can get is 14 days trial after that to use any feature you need to pay. Also, it’s fairly new and not being tested as much whereas Pretty Link is in the industry for a longer time.
Pretty Link to Shorten URL
There is another feature that is also most important for many website owners is shortening the URL. Pretty Links allows you to shorten your URL and make them pretty Links.
So similarly, like another shortening service though it does not shorten to the very minimal domain name, it shortens your URL of an affiliate or your own website into something in which you would like it to be displayed.
Verdict: Is it Worth Using Pretty link
Absolutely, Pretty Links is simple plugin and easy to install and set up. Even the free version does most of the stuff for beginner bloggers and once you grew as a blogger you can always get the pro version. And if you are someone who already has a large audience then the pro version will not disappoint you.
For me, it was all in all great plugins to manage my affiliate links. It allowed me to manage, organize and add my affiliate links fairly easily. I give it a complete thumbs up and you should also go ahead and install it to start using it.
So, overall you can shorten, cloak, track, and share your WordPress links easily.
Pretty Links: Manage affiliate Links
Pretty Links are great plugin currently in the market to manage, organize and shorten your affiliate links.