Today we will be discussing what are the top 5 best blogging platforms for a new website in the current year.
Are you looking to start your own blog to make passive income? but you are not able to decide which blogging platform to use.
Because since there is various blogging platform out there its quite difficult to decide which one to use.
In this article, we will discuss how you can find the right blogging platform for you. Also, we will be discussing all the pros and cons related to the top 5 best blogging platforms available on the internet.
If you want to skip to any one of them directly and want to learn about it only then you can select the given table of content.
1. WordPress.org: The most powerful and popular
Yes, you heard it right. WordPress is the most powerful and popular blogging platform on the internet currently.
WordPress powers more than 30% of all the websites on the internet. But there is little difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com. See our guide on how different WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
We’ll brief it out for you in a very small one sentence. WordPress.org is a free open-source blogging platform that provides a platform to build a website or blog quickly.
It is hosted by WordPress itself, so you are not required to worry about hosting here. It’s always better to start with WordPress if you wish to have full control over your blog’s future.
Pros of WordPress:
- Full and complete control over most of the features of your website.
- The simplified Growth opportunity for your blog. Provides various features which can be added such as online stores, forum etc. Which is why WordPress is the best blogging platform to make money easily.
- Great availability of customization in the form of Free Themes available for WordPress. Themes can be used to make the website unique and make it stand out attractive.
- More than 50,000 free and paid plugins. These plugins work as an app for your website in WordPress blog which allows various other customization which Themes do not provides such as adding a header, footer, galleries etc.
- WordPress provides various SEO related features which makes it quite SEO friendly. It’s very easy to create SEO friendly URLs, categories, and tags for your posts. Also, there are various free and paid SEO plugins to use which provides great insight for improvements.
Cons of WordPress:
- Initially it can be intimidating. But over a time you will be able to learn everything as it takes time.
- Everything needs to be managed by you such as backup and security. Or you need to pay extra to automate these features.
2. Blogger: Free Blogging Platform by Google
Blogger is the Free blogging platform by Google. If you want to start blogging without thinking anything else, all you want to start writing blogging then Blogger is the platform for you. It’s quick and easy for non-tech-savvy users to start with.
Blogger is one of the oldest blogging platforms in existence. Blogger was launched by Pyra Labs in 2003 later it was acquired by Google and was redesigned as it is displayed today in the current world.
Pros of Blogger
- Blogger is free for anyone and everyone. All you need is to register on the blogger platform with an email address.
- Required very less technical knowledge to manage the blog as compared to other platforms.
- Security and Reliability are provided by Google.
- Allows the use of Custom Domain and SEO can be achieved automatically.
Cons of Blogger
- Every Feature on Blogger is limited. Only tools and plugins which are provided by bloggers can be used by its users. Hence growth can be limited.
- Design options are also limited. You will be stuck with few themes to choose upon.
- Updates and new features are not added consistently.
- Your Blog can be suspended by Google anytime, or even cancel the Blogger service without any warning it any of its policies are broken.
- Monetization can be very difficult and can be very limited to Google Ad-sense only.
3. WordPress.com: Same as WordPress.org with less Freedom
WordPress.com is a blogging website which is basically provides hosting service by Automatic, a co-company of WordPress.org. WordPress.com provides free blog hosting service for basic services. But you can purchase additional options like a custom domain name, additional storage and other premium services.
WordPress was started in 2005, in order to expand and serve a larger audience base on the internet. If you do not want the advance features of self-hosted WordPress.org or other platforms.
Pros of WordPress.com
- No Technical Knowledge required. Automated setup is provided by WordPress itself.
- Easy to manage, grow and use.
- Free of cost for all the basic features. Also, you can complete 70% of the learning curve for WordPress.org and then you can migrate later once being comfortable.
Cons of WordPress.com
- Unavailability of most of the custom themes and plugins. Which limits the option of extending the website.
- Monetization is limited and is only handled by WordPress.com. You cannot use other advertisement platforms for your website.
- Just like Blogger, WordPress can also suspend your website without any warning or even delete your website if they find anything which violates there website policy.
4. Medium: Provide Good Traffic Initially
Medium is a very popular blogging platform. It also provides very inbuilt features. If you are the one who creates unique contents and its meeting Medium popularity content then you will be or can be paid very handsomely from Medium by just writing unique content without worries about others things.
Medium was launched in 2012, but it reached a very high level of popularity in fewer years than most of the websites.
It basically works as a social media site where you can create an account and start publishing content. But there is no custom domain thing available.
Also, it cannot be used as asset creation which your personnel blog on WordPress.org will provide you in the long term.
Pros of Medium
- Medium is easy and all it requires is register and start publishing content, no designing or anything else required.
- Provides maximum reach to all the users which it has in millions per day.
- It’s basically focused on people who only want to write and earn irrespective of other technical things to worry.
Cons of Medium
- Features are limited in terms of brand buildup, design and monetization.
- Any audience created because of your writing will be owned by Medium, so losing potential followers on your personnel blog.
- No domain name availability. All you will get a username or profile name based on availability.
- You cannot run your own ads to make money.
5. Wix.com: Another Popular blogging platform.
Wix is a platform used to build a self-hosted website. Its provides various solutions and features for small business to quickly make a website without depending upon anyone.
It provides an easy solution of drag and drops solution which becomes quite easy to use.
It also provides a blog feature separately to your website which you can achieve by adding the Wix Blog app.
Wix.com was founded in 2006 as a platform where anyone can create their website with no coding skills. It has almost over 110 million users across the globe.
Pros of Wix.com
- A very good amount of templates and third-party apps available to use to customize your site.
- Easy Drag and Drop options available with no coding skills.
- Quick and Easy setups and registrations.
Cons of Wix.com
- Free accounts come with lots of limitations and Wix watermark will be present all over the site.
- Free Third-party apps are also limited to free users.
- Templates cannot be changed at a later stage once decided and published.
- No or Very Limited E-commerce features available. Hence if you want to open a store think again.
- Blog features are also very limited even in paid plans than the other platforms.
That’s all are the top 5 blogging platforms in 2020. Most of them are free and also comes with paid features.
If you are almost a beginner then I will suggest you go with WordPress.com first for a few posts. Once you get the familiarity with it to go ahead and buy a hosting plan for WordPress you like and start posting your content there. If you want you can read a guide to start a blog here.
Blogging is a very personnel decision, which basically is building an audience which reads your content.
Appreciate your content and provides you insights into your content. It’s almost like building an asset over time.
Hence, all the decisions making related to it should be very minutely observed and pickup from platform to hosting to design to themes.
If you have any queries or suggestions feel free to put them into the comment section. If you want to help up with building a website for blogging contact us. We’ll provide free suggestions and solutions for you.